I have been meaning to write this memo for a while now, since the elections. I have finally gotten around to it – somewhat! There are somethings about Nigeria that i would like to see change. This is my list.
1. Nigeria is broke, broke, poor, broken, use whatever words you want, we cannot afford the current way we live. Aso Rock cannot be eating Gucci rice while everyone else suffers.
2. If the National Assembly is unwilling to increase the minimum wage, their salaries should be adjusted accordingly.
3. What work is the National Assembly doing that they are paid more than the United States President? Their salaries need to be reviewed downwards. Given that Nigeria’s revenue has declined by easily 50%, their salaries should be adjusted accordingly. If they are really passionate about their jobs they will stay, if not they should go and try their hands at baba ijebu lottery, they might win there.
4. Business will be bad for certain people.
a. Pimps & Runz girls (prostitutes) – i no longer expect a Governor’s girlfriend to be wearing half of the state’s allocation on her over bleached head disguised as a wig or Brazilian hair. Neither do i expect her to be driving the entire salary of a local government around in a range rover. No half dimwit will be running around oppressing others who her married boyfriend has rob of the chance at a remotely decent life. Maybe our officials will work, if they have less money to pay for orgies.
b. Car dealers – no one should be ordering 50 of the same vehicles for awoof anymore.
c. High End Wedding Planners and Event Coordinators – Governor’s and other officials – Children’s lavish weddings on the popular blogs – your parents are civil servants, that wedding at the Burj Khalifa was not paid for with hard earned money, because your parent is a thief, he or she has deprived the others of their rights. Remember the biggest threat to your child is the other child that was disadvantaged because your greedy a** parent decided to steal what was to be used to better them.
5. Prosecution of a lot of people. My prayer is that all of Buhari’s time isn’t spent prosecuting people and he has time to actually govern. A lot of people deserve jail time.
6.No more drama from fuel marketers – deregulation of the markets.
7. Sanitation to a certain level of government agencies, State governments to stop diverting the salaries of civil servants etc. Sensitizing these same set of workers and helping them understand they are not demigods.
8. Youth – a lot of help, scrap NYSC and bring in more meaningful programs that aid entrepreneurship and access to the tools to help them succeed.
9. Diversification of the economy – no more Oil, oil, oil. The Niger-Delta has oil, but they remain so impoverished. We need more sustainable income that can also help us grow instead of remaining a mono-economy.
10. Greater focus on education, Healthcare and technology – Nigeria is not globally competitive based on what we currently have. Nigerians will no longer accept hospital treatment under “wayo Allah”.
11. Power, it obvious the new DISCOs aren’t working well. We need alternate power – affordable too.
12. They need to start scrapping duplicate agencies. The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) is a useless organisation. We do not need one agency with a $$million budgets to tell us our identity. Incorporate the FRSC ( Drivers license, Immigration – passports, tax agencies and health agencies – birth and death records). Put all these agencies on the same platform) or find a way to merge them. Create a National Identity number once a child is born and notify the system when the death is recorded. We are tired of having BVN for the banks, a different tax state ID, a different number on our voters card etc. One form of identification should be acceptable everywhere. Let our statistics be organised – NBS needs to do more than produce estimated numbers. We need proper population demographics to plan the present and the future of this country- think proper resource allocation. Nobody knows exactly how many people we have in Nigeria, its crazy.
Lastly Jonathan and Sambo should stop asking us to forgive them, if they know they haven’t done wrong, what are they asking us to forgive them for? Don’t beg, Jonathan did wedding for his “daughter” and lavishly at that, days after chibok girls were kidnapped, maybe that’s the forgiveness he is begging us for, or for making his wife a Perm Sec in a state when she hadn’t fulfilled the duties of the said role in God knows how many years. They should be ready for whatever Nigerians throw their way. They didn’t think doom would appear in their lifetime abi? No problem.
Buhari should also take note that if he misbehaves, it is our choice whether or not we want to “change” him. That’s all. Please share your thoughts.